When it comes to moped insurance, the requirements and coverage options can vary based on your location and individual circumstances. Here’s what you need to know:
Moped Insurance Requirements:
- Liability Insurance: Unlike motorcycles, liability insurance for mopeds is not required in 26 states. However, if you’re leasing or financing your moped, the lender may require insurance coverage.
Coverage Options to Consider:
While liability insurance might not be mandatory in some states, it’s still important to consider insurance coverage for your moped, especially if you want to protect yourself and others in case of accidents. Here are some coverage options to consider:
- Liability Coverage: This coverage protects you by paying for damages you may become legally responsible for in an accident, including medical bills and property damage. It also covers legal defense in case of a lawsuit.
- Medical Payments Coverage: This can pay for medical expenses for you, your household members, and passengers in the event of an accident.
- Collision Coverage: If your moped is damaged in an accident, collision coverage can help pay for repairs regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This coverage can help pay for damages to your moped from theft, vandalism, weather events, and accidents involving animals.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: If you’re in an accident caused by a driver without insurance, this coverage can reimburse you for medical expenses and other damages.
- OEM Endorsement: This specifies that original manufacturer parts will be used for repairs after a claim.
- Roadside Assistance: Provides emergency assistance, such as fuel delivery, tire changes, jumpstarts, and towing.
Moped vs. Scooter:
Mopeds and scooters are often confused, but they have distinct characteristics:
- A moped typically has an engine size of 50cc or smaller.
- A scooter has an engine size between 50cc to 250cc.
Getting a Moped Insurance Quote:
To get a moped insurance quote, you can call your insurer or visit the moped insurance section of their website. Remember to check out the moped insurance discounts available to help you save on coverage.
While moped insurance might not always be required by law, having proper coverage can provide you with financial protection and peace of mind in case of unexpected events.